Heater blower resistor prt number?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
APgti
New
Drives: Polo Gti 2016

Heater blower resistor prt number?

Post by APgti »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the part number for the blower resistor? Needs changing as only blowing on setting 4. Loads on enay for £10 but they seem to say up to 2013 only a d mine is a 2016 gti.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Heater blower resistor prt number?

Post by iichel »

It's the same 6q0 part
JUUL
Getting There!
Drives: 6N 1995

Post by JUUL »

I agree, it seems to be the same part indeed.

Part nr 6Q0959263A

Part nr 4 in the illustration below

APgti
New

Post by APgti »

Thank you all thats great. Part ordered.
Bepis
Silver Member
Drives: 2017 6C GTi Manual

Post by Bepis »

Just had mine die on me ironically as I left the dealership to pick up an oil filter and a drain plug :roll:

Seems straightforward enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcKehDqCwD4

OE I got priced £83, Mahle £23 + delivery:
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/mahle-origina ... dByGa=2975
APgti
New

Post by APgti »

Changed mine over today the video looks a lot easier than it is. No idea how its meant to clip back into place as it doesn't seem to have any clips on it. I had to wedge the old one free but the new one wouldn't stay down and is sitting in there loose. However, it is now working on all 4 settings.

I got the resistor for £10. Probably a cheap copy version but will see how long it lasts.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Post by 2fast4ya »

Hi there , i replaced the heater resistor on my polo ages ago, its a fiddly job but easy enough to do,
Its a weird one tbh as it didnt register till after i removed the pollen filter that i smelt burning from the dash a week or so before i had an issue with no heat on the first/ second heat cycle , anyway i purchased the resistor took pollen filter out & it has signs of burnt material & melting on one edge of it , i took the resistor out & it was black with burnt areas on the green part.
I quickly realized that for some odd reason it was touching the pollen filter & burning it & shorted the resistor , maybe i had pushed the filter in to far when i replaced it some sime beforehand ??
Anyway the resistor can clip in two ways but this is where you have to remember which way it clips in , if you clip it in the wrong way round the angle of the green bit will point the wrong way & potentually touch the pollen filter like mine did , i have sent a post ages ago with pics showing both ways it clips in .
I have noticed that some pollen filter cradles have a plastic sheaf that helps slot the filter in the hole but my polo gti hasnt got the plastic sheaf . Not sure if it was ment to have one or not but i got my car brand new of the vw dealership in 2016 .
If you smell any burning please check the resistor position as it may be that if youve clipped it in wrong.
Attachments
IMG_2546.jpeg
IMG_2546.jpeg (360.91 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
IMG_2547.jpeg
IMG_2547.jpeg (358.34 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Logic leads us to think that the resistor should be inserted vertically when installing it, however, the images are a very good contribution, logic is not always the correct way to proceed.
👍
2fast4ya
Getting There!
Drives: polo 1.8 tsi gti bluetec

Post by 2fast4ya »

Yeah if your not in the know ! Which i wernt at the time lol
When i first did this task i didnt pay attention to what position it sat as i took it out so when i put the new one in i put it in wrong thus nearly catching the car on fire over time. :roll:
mikerj
New
Drives: Polo GTi 6c

Post by mikerj »

Just fitted a new one today on mu 2017 GTi, very fiddly if you have big hands. I found there's not enough room to be able to hold the resistor and turn it to lock in place, so ended up using a long screwdriver to turn it. Judging from the number of pattern parts available and the number of videos and how-tos for different VWs these resistors seem very prone to failure.
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

In the middle of swapping mine out and wow is it a pain to get the resistor to lock back in. Got it twisted probably 30° but not completely locked in place. Currently waiting for the rain to stop so I can carry on.
IMG_8857.jpg
IMG_8857.jpg (384.41 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
I'm half tempted to leave it as it is as I can't get anything on it or grip it well enough to turn it the rest of the way and it takes some effort to unlock it even from this point.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

I recommend that you finish the job until the resistor is perfectly fitted, keep in mind that it is a resistor and if it comes loose from its housing (with the first bump) with a high temperature the plastics and subsequently the car could catch fire. 🔥🚗GTI🔥 ... :cry: ... so/then don't pout or come crying to the forum because you have been warned. :lol:

:idea: :?:
It may be a little more accessible from the top of the dashboard if you remove the passenger airbag 'according to the repair manual' or by watching a YT video. I don't post links to YT because I absolutely don't like what I've seen about the removal of this airbag...🤭
Note:
Note this is something I don't know - 1 because my 6R has Climatronic so it doesn't have that resistor but rather a control unit and - 2 because my 6R is LHD, not RHD.
Bepis
Silver Member

Post by Bepis »

Managed to find some tiny channel locks that fit in the space quite well and got it in. I didn't feel a click but it's straight and even I couldn't get it back out :lol:. If that bracket from the airbag that holds the glovebox was able to be removed the job would be so much easier.

Fans are back so I'm no longer driving around constantly turning the fan on and off while going deaf when it's on.

Seems my old resistor got a bit hot and also rusty which I thought was a bit odd. Although it is pre-filter so technically exposed to moisture from the outside.
IMG_8851.jpg
IMG_8851.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 1960 times
IMG_8850.jpg
IMG_8850.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 1960 times
Also seems Mahle is an OEM for the resistor pack as there were some interesting markings that had been removed :lol:
IMG_8853.jpg
IMG_8853.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 1960 times
If you do carry out this job it's worth removing your cabin filter as the green "stuff" collects in the filter
IMG_8854.jpg
IMG_8854.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1960 times
As for getting the pack out. I was able to turn it with a flathead screwdriver being very careful not to slip and stab something with it. Push it up into the cavity behind the airbag then out with the resistor coming out pointing to the back of the car. Unplug, replace with new and do all that in reverse.

30-45 minute job without being rained off but I've had my glovebox out before so was made quicker by knowing what had to come out and how.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

👍 well done, thank you for the report.

Perhaps it would also be useful to be able to fit the resistance all the way (to the end of the turn) by applying a very light amount of neutral vaseline to the edges of the resistance structure or receiving hole.